Meet Skye Thomas, a teacher from our Colorado Springs, CO school. She has a pretty special talent, and she’s using it to the best of her abilities. Skye plays football for the Women’s Football Alliance! She has qualified for the Hall of Fame team, and is preparing for the Hall of Fame game in Las Vegas in just a few weeks.
We spoke to Skye to get to know her in the classroom and on the football field!
1. How would you describe your experience with the Women’s Football Alliance (WFA)?
I have really enjoyed playing with the Women’s Football Alliance. I have met so many women from all over the country. It’s like one big sisterhood.
2. How long have you been playing football?
3. Was playing in the WFA always a goal, or something you fell into?
Never in a million years would I have thought I would be playing semi-pro women’s football. I didn’t even know that women’s football was a thing. I just happened to be walking through some booths at a parade, and someone shouted, "Hey, you look like you play sports." So I signed up to get some information about it.
4. How are you preparing for the Hall of Fame team this month?
I am just eating healthy and working out with my team.
5. What has playing in the WFA taught you about yourself?
It has taught me that I am stronger physically and emotionally than I thought I was. It has taught me it’s ok to stand up for yourself and what you believe in.
6. Are you able to use any experiences with football in the classroom?
Since I started playing I am in better shape, so running with the kids on the playground is a lot easier!
7. What has been the best experience you’ve had in football?
The sisterhood. Many of us would have never crossed paths if it wasn't for football, and we are truly family now. On the other hand, every time I sack the quarterback is amazing.
8. What is your favorite part about teaching, and your favorite part about football?
My favorite part about teaching is having fun and laughing with the kids while they are learning new things. My favorite part about football is hearing my family and friends scream my name during the game.
9. Are your students excited for the big game?
Oh yes, my kiddos are excited for the game. I have one student who wants to eat his vegetables so he can get big and strong like me so he can play football.
10. What is something about yourself that would surprise others?
I love Winnie the Pooh.