While Independence Day is over, the celebration doesn’t have to stop. National Macaroni day gives your family a great reason to celebrate the all-American favorite: mac & cheese.
We found the perfect mini mac & cheese bites recipe for you and your mini-me to make.
This easy twist on a childhood favorite will definitely make it into your meal rotation-- no matter the time of year!
- ½ pound elbow macaroni
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to packaged directions and set aside.
- In a medium size pan combine butter and flour over medium heat. Whisk until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Slowly add milk and bring to a simmer. Add 1½ cups of the cheese, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, carefully stir pasta, cheese sauce, and egg until evenly mixed and pasta is evenly coated.
- Spoon mac and cheese into mini muffin tins and top each with a small pinch of remaining cheese. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before gently removing the bites.
by Caitlin Lancaster + Whitney Barnard
Photos by Pop Sugar.
Happy National Macaroni Day!