1. Pick up some festive books! Here are some of our favorites:
- Dragons Love Tacos
- Chicks and Salsa
- Cinco de Mouse-o!
- El Perro con Sombrero
- Mango, Abuela, and Me
2. Create flashcards
Write up interesting facts about Hispanic culture to show your child. This will help them understand how the holiday started, and why it's celebrated.
3. Teach your child some simple Spanish words and phrases:
- Hello = Hola
- Goodbye = Adios
- Please = Por favor
- Thank you = Gracias
- You’re welcome = De nada
- How are you? = ¿Cómo estás?
- Good = Bien
- Yes = Si
- No = No
4. Put on a Cinco de Mayo playlist
Give your child some maracas, turn on Pandora’s Cinco de Mayo radio, and let them dance to some festive tunes!
5. Make a Mexican spread for dinner
Search Pinterest for a great kid-friendly Chicken Paella recipe to get you started. Don’t forget the tortilla chips and salsa!
6. Make Paletas for dessert
They’re super simple and delicious. These are another great Pinterest find!
7. Fill a piñata with healthy snacks
Grab a donkey piñata and pack it full of healthy treats. Then let your child take a whack at it! You can find the traditional rainbow donkey piñata at your local Party City.
8. Make your own Mexican salsa
Let your child accompany you to the grocery store to pick out the ingredients. You can also bottle up any extra and save it for a snack later! Just be sure to keep it refrigerated.