Seeds of Literacy
The Sunshine House’s Seeds of Literacy program uses high-quality children’s literature to support development of both literacy and character through shared reading, interactive discussions, and engaging small groups.
Every month, your child’s teacher will read a story using a set of techniques designed to enhance your child’s understanding of literacy concepts and encourage the development of positive character traits. Through these experiences, children build an understanding of foundational literacy concepts, story comprehension, book knowledge, and the connection between oral and written language. Ask your child’s teacher or Center Director for more information on this month’s book – or look for the Seeds of Literacy display in your child’s classroom!
Exploring Spanish and Sign Language
At The Sunshine House, our goal is to support each child in building the strongest possible educational foundation. Research shows that early exposure to second (and/or third) languages provides children with multiple developmental benefits, including, but not limited to:
- More advanced first language skills
- More ease in speaking a second language later in life
- Greater cultural understanding
- More advanced literacy acquisition
- Greater cognitive functioning
Because of these many benefits, The Sunshine House has incorporated two additional languages into our curricular offerings – Spanish and Sign Language.
Beginning as early as our infant curriculum, children are exposed to Spanish words and phrases in natural ways, and invited to use them throughout the day. They also begin learning simple signs (signing) to express themselves. This empowers children to communicate before developing the ability to use speech to express themselves.
Free Diapers and Wipes Service
Yes, we really mean it! The Sunshine House provides these items for free in our infant and toddler classrooms:
- Premium diapers
- Pre-moistened wipes
Our free diapering service features Cuties-brand premium baby products, made by First Quality. Cuties-brand baby products are pediatrician-tested, hypoallergenic, dye-free and elemental chlorine free, and made in the USA.
Interested in trying our free diapers? Ask your Center Director for a sample pack of Cuties diapers!
Professional Portraits from LifeTouch
Throughout the year, your child will have the opportunity to have professional portraits taken by a LifeTouch photographer.
- Portraits and class pictures are offered in the fall and spring, with holidays photos available in some locations.
- Portrait package prices vary and there is no obligation to purchase.
- Additional portrait products are also available, including mugs, magnets, mousepads, photo books and more!
- Pay for your portraits online and receive a FREE 3-month subscription to your choice of Highlights Hello or High Five magazine.
- Receive two FREE SmileSafe® Kids ID cards annually. If a child is missing, parents can contact the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children® and request a Lifetouch portrait be provided to law enforcement to aid in search efforts.
Winter Break at The Sunshine House
At The Sunshine House, we believe a break in school shouldn’t break your schedule – or your child’s opportunities for fun! So we’ve designed a festive, affordable and fun winter break program that will keep your child engaged in exciting, seasonal activities.
Most cultures celebrate the New Year, though people welcome it at different times and in different ways. Our Winter Break Camp features activities focused on bringing these festivities to life – from making good luck pigs to building a Chinese dragon from recycled materials – to everything in between!
When school is out for Spring Break, we’ve got you covered!
Our Spring Break program – which provides an exciting sneak peek of our popular Summer Camp – will keep your child interested and having fun!
We know you need flexibility, so our program fits any family’s busy schedule. Attend the full week, a few days or just a few hours. And experience field trips, fun and a bit of Summer Camp.