Emergency program provides discounted childcare to South Carolina's essential workers
Due to limited funding, South Carolina will stop accepting Essential Worker discounted childcare applications this Friday, May 8. Essential workers are asked to submit applications for childcare assistance by 5:00 p.m. this Friday. So, if you are eligible -- act quickly!
We are proud to support essential workers like you! YOU are our community's heroes, and help keep us healthy and safe during this challenging time. Now let us be there for you.
If you are an essential worker in need of childcare, we can help you with South Carolina's new Childcare Assistance program.
Discounted childcare for essential workers
As part of the CARES Act, The state of South Carolina is providing financial assistance for childcare for essential workers. This means South Carolina will pay for a portion of your childcare through August 30, 2020. Essential workers will only be responsible for a weekly co-pay.
Families can receive financial aid for childcare through August 30, 2020 if they:
- Working at an essential business (as defined in the SC Executive Order)
- Need childcare to continue to work
How do I get started?
- Contact us immediately if you need care! For a listing of schools, try our Location Finder.
- Complete a Childcare CARES Application.
- Email the completed application to DSS at email@example.com. In the email, include your first and last name, phone number, and the occupation/business where you work.
- DSS will contact you once they've processed your application. This could take up to 15 days.
If you have additional questions about this program, please contact Christi Jeffcoat at the DSS office at 803-898-2741 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help spread the word
Many essential workers in need of quality, affordable childcare don't know about this new program. Help other essential workers get the support they need by spreading the word today.
Find a school > Location Finder
Learn more > South Carolina Childcare Assistance Program FAQs
Download > CARES Childcare Application
Complete Listing of Essential Staff Occupations
List obtained from SC DSS website.
- Emergency Services
Police officers, paramedics, EMTs, firefighters, 911 call center workers, county and city jail staff
- Healthcare and Public Health Workers
- State Government Programs
Essential staff who are required to report to work
- Financial Services (essential in-office staff)
Banks, lending offices
- Food and Agriculture
Grocery store employees, pharmacy employees, some restaurants, farmers, food processing employees, food and beverage service staff
- Gas Station Workers
- Childcare Workers
- Water and Wastewater Employees
Utility workers, engineers, telecommunications
- Chemical Section
Lab workers, pharmaceuticals, distribution facilities
- Transit Services
City bus drivers